This building, home of Trader Barb's, is the site of Albuquerque's first public school, established in 1881 by Sister Blandina and two other nuns. It's attached to the north side of San Felipe de Neri Church, which was built on its present site in 1793. The church had originally been built on a site a little farther to the west but, after several fires and floods, was re-built where it stands today.
Of course, there was a parish school established with the founding of the Villa de Alburquerque in 1706. Building a church and starting a school were two of the requirements to be granted land for the colony by the King of Spain.
You can't see it in this photo, but on the peak of the building is the cupola that housed the school bell that would be rung to call the children to school each morning.
Today this building is the home of Trader Barb's, a lovely boutique filled with items to delight any lady.
320 Romero St NW # B
Albuquerque, NM 87104